Monday, November 13, 2006

Veteran's Day Reunion

Saturday, Nov. 11th, was Veteran's Day. A time for Americans to pay tribute to the US military men and women that have defended and are currently defending this great nation. So many times we forget about those around the world that are protecting our freedom and putting their lives on the line. As a Vet, I have seen this day come and go many times without really giving it that much consideration. This year I wanted it to be different. I decided a few months ago to attempt to break a World Record on Veteran's Day to pay tribute to our troops and create national patriotic awareness. I told an ole Army buddy, Morse, about this venture and he decided to help out. Within a couple weeks, Morse, had tracked down Hobbs, Trim, Dunn and Donahue. All of us had gone through basic training at Ft Benning and were eventually stationed together at the 10th Mountain Division in Ft Drum, NY. It had been 15 yrs since we had last seen each other. Where does the time go? It just seems like yesterday that a group of snot-nosed 18yr old kids were hitting bars in Kingston, Ontario on the weekends and training how to kill with sophisticated weapons during the week. Ah, the good ole days. They traveled from all over the country and got into San Diego on Thursday evening. I met the gang at the Hilton in La Jolla. It was hard to believe that it had been 15 years. It really seemed like only yesterday. We talked for hours about all the crazy stuff we had done back then and how we were all very lucky to be alive today. The group met up on Sat. morning, Veteran's Day, for our big one-mile run. I wanted to attempt to break a world record and Morse just wanted to complete the mile. As we ran the course together, some of us Vets and some still serving, I really felt proud to have served my country and to have served with this group of great guys. This I thought to myself, is what Veteran's Day is about. If any of you are Vets and haven't made the time to see the friends you served with, take my advice, make the time and get together. This past weekend spent with the guys I served with will be one I'll never forget. Life is short. Too many times we let it slip on by. I challenge all of you to take a moment, stop, and try to contact someone special that you haven't talked to or seen in years. Like the VISA commercial states, "It's PRICELESS!"

No comments: