Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Legs/Back/Biceps Workout

I forgot to mention yesterday, that I teach Outdoor Fitness classes 5 days a week at 6 AM and 5 PM. I'll list that workout first because I do it first thing in the morning. I generally hit the gym at lunch time to get in my strength training. If you can possibly incorporate both workouts in during the day, you'll really notice your fitness level improve dramatically. Many just do the Outdoor Fitness class because it's extremely challenging and comprehensive. It's your call.

Today's Morning Workout;
This morning we hit the road for a little Speed Play or Fartlek Training. You can try this on the road, a treadmill, or any other piece of cardio equipment. The primary goal is to have fun with it. We ran from light pole to light pole. Run about 80-90% to a light pole, then slow easy jog to the next. Repeat. Sometimes I will throw in 2 or 3 light poles or stop lights to make it interesting. If you are doing this in the gym, you can pick it up from song to song, from commercial to commercial or minute to minute. It's your call. Be creative and have fun with it. Remember, 5-10 minute cool-down and stretching afterwards.

Strength Training Workout;
Yesterday we hit Chest/Shoulder/Triceps, today we'll hit Legs/Back/Biceps. This is one of my favorite formats, the Push-Pull breakdown. I've found that it works well to hit all the major muscle groups and allows plenty of rest in between. It's great for maintaining general fitness. Remember, this week is 2 Sets of 10-12 Reps.
  • Overhand Pull-ups
  • Barbell Squat
  • DB Deadlift
  • Chin-ups
  • Single Leg Extensions
  • Seated Cable Row
  • Single Leg Curl
  • Lat pull downs
  • DB Calf Raise
  • DB Shrugs
  • Straight bar curl - focus on the negative
  • Ab exercise
  • DB Hammer curl
  • Hanging knee raises
  • Wrist curl
  • Low-back Hyper extensions or Supermans

* I like to take 2 or 3 exercises at a time and rotate quickly through them to get my heart rate up and to speed up the workout.

Gut Check Workout;

  • 10-15 Pull-ups
  • 25 Starbursts
  • 25 Fingers to Toes - lie on back, arms and legs extended in the air, try to reach up and touch fingers to toes, similar to a crunch
  • 25 Mountain Climbers - single count
  • REPEAT 4 TIMES

As usual, please let me know what ya think. I always appreciate your feedback. Enjoy the workout. Remember, "that's why we call it working out, not hanging out!" HOO-RAH! Have fun!

Joe Decker


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i followed my normal routine with this gut check session and starburst do indeed suck! did this in 11:10. went straight to my "road work" and my legs turned to rubber. the starbursts STAY! my legs SUCK! Douglas